google6c645be934d0c6f0.html

The Stop House

P1040475

Although not technically part of the Wharf, the adjacent Stop House is a part of the Nurser family history.  It has already been noted that William Nurser’s first wife, Clara Deakin White, was the daughter of Charles White, shopkeeper in a building adjacent.  It was also at Braunston Stop that Arthur Atkins painted the Rose and Castle ware that caught the eye of Charles Dickens.

G&W 19

Photo: Braunston History Society

The Stop House is now an Office of the Canal & River Trust and, thanks to a band of dedicated Volunteers, open to the public.   It houses a small museum which includes a tray painted by Frank Nurser.  Constructed in 1796, it was used until the end of the 19th Century to collect tolls and register passing craft.   Boats were gauged and tolls collected by the Grand junction (now Grand Union) Canal Company.  The canal still narrows in front of the Stop House where there used to be a stop lock to prevent water from the Grand Junction flowing in to the Oxford Canal.  The lock was widened  during other canal work undertaken between 1931 and 1934.   The old house (Charles White’s shop?) was still there in the early 1930s but has since been demolished.


Braunston

Three loaded Barlow pairs tied up at the Stop House on 21st July 1959

Photograph: Edward Paget-Tomlinson

     © Graham Nurser 2012