google6c645be934d0c6f0.html

Wolvercote Mill

 The canal has long played a part in village life here. In the 18th century, a water-powered papermill brought prosperity to Wolvercote, supplying paper for Oxford University Press. In 1811, a steam engine was installed to power the papermaking process and the canal again took the strain, bringing in 100 tons of coal every week. Sadly, the mill closed in 1998 and was demolished in 2004.

     © Graham Nurser 2012